Parenting, Childcare and Early Education
Did you know that learning begins at birth and the brain develops faster between birth and age 5 than any other period of life? That’s why parenting, early care and education are critical to a child’s development.
Check out these local resources on parenting, childcare and early education.
Listings are alphabetical.
Cedarcrest Center for Children with Disabilities (Keene, NH): Enriches the lives of children with complex medical and developmental needs, supports their families, and collaborates with other community providers to build a continuum of care. Offers medical services, special education services and therapy services to children, from infancy through age 21.
Child Care Aware of New Hampshire: Provides a tailored list of licensed and license exempt childcare providers by town along with educational information on choosing quality childcare. Information about how to apply for the New Hampshire State Scholarship is also available.
- Child care referrals and consumer education can be accessed through the website using the “Child Care Search” button, or through calling or visiting one of the Regional Outreach Offices.
- The Child Care Aware Outreach Office for the Monadnock Region is located at the Colony Mill Marketplace, 222 West Street, Unit #11, Keene, NH 03431. Families are encouraged to call 603-903-0840 for a complete list of childcare options in their community.
- Learn more about what “quality child care” means and get help with evaluating child care programs here.
The Grapevine Family & Community Resource Center (Antrim, NH): Promotes family and community health and well-being through support, education and the sharing of resources. Serves the people of Hillsborough County, with a focus on Antrim, Hancock, Bennington, Francestown and nearby towns.
- Learn more about The Grapevine’s parent-child and family support programs, focused on serving children 0-5 and their families, here.
- Access other resources for children and families in the Antrim area here.
Home Healthcare Hospice & Community Services – Maternal Child Health/Healthy Starts: Provides support to pregnant and parenting families in southwestern New Hampshire who lack resources. Nurses, social workers and home visitors help with enrollment in health care, referrals to other services, case management, education, counseling or general family support. Contact Penny Vaine at (603) 352-2253 to learn more.
Keene Family YMCA (Keene, NH): Offers programs for Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility to people of all ages, including infants and toddlers. Click on the link provided for a general list of programs at the Keene Family YMCA, but check out the current program guide for this season’s program offerings.
Monadnock Developmental Services – Family Centered Early Supports & Services: Provides resources to children from birth to three years of age and their families in Cheshire and western Hillsborough Counties. Resources include a developmental evaluation, therapeutic interventions, guidance, instruction, referral to community resources and emotional support. Click on the link provided for details about eligibility, cost, and referrals.
Reading Nooks (Keene & Hinsdale, NH): The Reading Nook project – a joint initiative between Impact Monadnock and Monadnock United Way – began in April 2016. This project is a strategy from Impact Monadnock’s Strategic Plan for Early Childhood Development, aiming to provide at-risk children age 0-5 years with innovative early-literacy interventions to improve their academic and life success. Each Reading Nook is set up with a variety of books, literacy-building activities and games to stimulate learning. More Reading Nook locations are currently being explored.
- The Keene Reading Nook is located at the Keene Housing Kids Collaborative, 5 Harmony Lane, Keene, NH. Children and their guardians are welcome to the Reading Nook Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 4 PM. Other special events will be advertised.
- The Hinsdale Reading Nook is located at the Millstream Community Center, 19 Main Street, Hinsdale, NH. Please contact Carrie at email@example.com for hours of operation.
- Questions, comments and ideas about the Reading Nooks can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monadnock Waldorf School – Parent & Child Groups (Keene, NH): In addition to preschool, Monadnock Waldorf School offers parent & child play groups. Groups are led by experienced teachers who understand the needs of young children. Programs include playtime for the children, a healthy snack and seasonal activities.
Rise … for baby and family (Keene, NH): Provides supports and services to infants and toddlers and their families in the Monadnock region since 1981. Rise serves over 250 children birth to three annually with early intervention and child care programs.
- Learn more about Rise’s services from children birth to three and their families:
The River Center (Peterborough, NH): Strengthening individuals and families through parenting support, economic opportunity programs, and community connections throughout the towns of the Eastern Monadnock Region.
- The River Center offers Family Support through a variety of programs, including Parenting Groups, Early Home Support Program, Playgroups and more.
- The River Center’s FACT Book Online is a community resource guide for those living in the towns of Antrim, Bennington, Dublin, Francestown, Greenfield, Greenville, Hancock, Jaffrey, Mason, New Ipswich, Peterborough, Rindge, Sharon and Temple, NH.
Rotary of Keene’s Family Resource Guide (online): Provides information about resources available for young children, their parents and families in the Monadnock Region.
Simplified Speech Solutions, LLC (Keene, NH): Offers solutions to the communication needs of children and adults in New Hampshire, Vermont and Massachusetts by providing high quality normed evaluations, Augmentative Alternative Communication (AAC) and Assistive Technology (AT) assessments, therapy, and consultation to children, families and school teams.
Sophia’s Hearth Family Center (Keene, NH): Committed to changing the world for families with young children, for families and early childhood professionals out of the resources of Waldorf Early Childhood Education.
- In addition to being a childcare provider, Sophia’s Hearth Family Center offers 4 types of programs for children and families:
Vroom (online): Vroom offers creative tools and materials that inspire parents, guardians and child care providers to turn everyday moments into brain building moments. The goal of Vroom is to share the science of early brain development in new ways so that all children have the chance to become thriving adults. Download the free Daily Vroom app on your phone for daily tips.
Want to get involved and take action to support our region’s youngest citizens and their families? Learn about What You Can Do.
Want to suggest a resource for this list? Please Contact Us!